Re:Rotten Stuff

From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 22:54:32 -0600

>From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
>Subject: Re: Rotten Stuff
>
>Andrew Larsen:
>
><< Why not? Part of a holding a Fertility rune involves generating life.
>Each deity generates life in its own manner, so why not allow some deities to
>spontaneously generate life? Ernalda did it at least once (Babeester Gor),
>thus proving that the cult has the secrets of parthenogenesis.>>
>
> Parthenogenesis is not spontaneous generation of life. It is generation
>of life from pre-existing life (to whit, the mother).

       Point taken, but the phenomena are similar, in that both produce life without normal reproductive cycles.

><< SponGen is a similar phenomenon, except that it involves the radical
>transformation of matter from one thing into another (meat slowly
>transforming into maggots and flies). This seems to follow its own internal
>laws (pussywillows turn into snakes only if they sit in water, and they only
>turn into snakes, not birds or fish or whatever). So its not inherently
>chaotic. It's only problematic from a RW scientific viewpoint.>>
>
> I disagree. I think that natural cycles are important to Gloranthan
>earth/fertility cults, and that spontaneous generation would break that
>cycle. Or at least, IMO, that's the way it is now that Time and Death have
>entered the world.

        What is inherently unnatural about SponGen? As Aristotle viewed it, it was a natural process with its own rules. It's only unnatural from an RW scientific paradigm. A creature dies, its meat breaks down into flies, maggots, and so on, and thus the tissue is destroyed. That strikes me as a perfectly reasonable cycle.

><< Finally, Malia is a critical player in this process, and is sometimes
>considered the Janitor of the Gods, responsible for breaking things down and
>clearing away the
> detritus of the world.>>
>
> I'm not convinced of that at all - unless there's some reference I'm
>missing.

        I'm getting this from the first edition Cults of Terror. "Mallia is also the janitor of the gods, providing the corruption which turns flesh and bone back to dust. Without her work in this regard, there would soon be no room
for the living." p.26.

><< > Pretty much. Disease spirits are attracted to rotten stuff; they
>like >the stench.
>
> Two other options exist. 1) Rotting material generates disease
>spirits. >>
>
> That's possible, and could well be so for the weak 'infection' spirits,
>but I think the greater ones are, in some sense, children of Malia (or souls
>of her worshippers) and not created in such a 'mundane' manner.

        Makes sense. Few major plagues arise from this sort of thing. But perhaps Malia engenders spirits as she breaks rots material.

><< 2) Disease spirits cause rot in dead organic material, but prefer to
>transfer to living organic material.>>
>
> I don't see decay as a function of Malia, or of disease spirits in
>general. A side effect, sure, but you could say that of Humakt, who also
>kills things.

        Well, it's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

Andrew E. Larsen

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #286