Wealth

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 14:46:37 +1300

Charles MIALARET:

>What is the part of Wealth that belong to a clan / individual

> What guarantees wealth for an individual?
> (The clan, some laws/customs, the right of the mightiest?)

Individuals earn wealth within a clan and without. However their means of doing so within a clan often depends on their usage of clan (or odal) property. Their right to use such a property is determined by a clan, although most clans allow such rights to be inherited ("My father worked this stead, therefore I should also work it") or by custom ("The Rotroots always get the shitty steads"). They can revoke rights at any time but this is only done in the most extreme circumstances

The richest individuals within a clan often have the most influence although they are never strong enough to ignore the concerns of ordinary farmers. There is also a strong tradition of throwing splendid feasts etc which mitigates the disparity in wealth.

>It seems to me that this concept must be very different also in a clan
>stronghold and in a big town (e.g. Boldhome or better, Nochet).

The influences of the clans there are less and so the Orlanthi there would fall back on family/bloodline groups or try and form some organization to replace the clans.

>I had always imagined relations with wealth in the Lunar society as in
>our modern world, is it the case?

It's more like wealth in the ancient Roman Society with its client/patron relationships.

>What about the westeners?

More like our modern world. The peasants aren't fully initiated into Malkioni secrets and because of this, they are wards of the nobility. Hence the fruit of their labours is the property of their Nobles although there is an expectation that it is used for the benefit of the community (how much this is honored varies from place to place).

Others have the full right to the fruits of their labour, although they can be ordered to pay taxes by their community for the beneifit of their society.

> I couldn't help thinking it must be different according to the
>religous inclination as well as the social level/caste.

The only real variation that I know of is that in Tanisor, matter (which includes wealth) is corrupting and injurious to the soul. For it to be rendered safe for human consumption, they must do have it purified through various rituals that strengthen the bonds of Rokari society at the same time. The harvests of the fields are purified by the farmers giving them up to the Lords (who give some of it back so the farmers have enough to live on etc).