Jeepers, creepers, where'd ya get those leap-years?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:37:06 GMT

Bob Stancliff:
> Therefor the second millenium ended a few days ago.
> In no way will I accept the argument that we cannot do that since it would
> make the first millenium a year short. Let it be a year short and damn
> the consequences!

A bold plan, I must confess, and one that would curely make Gregory with his paltry couple of days, and Jules with his to-ing and fro-ing of months look decidedly small beer. As it were, a 'Leap Millennium'? (One could say a 'leap Year' by analogy with 'leap second', but that would then just be _really_ confusing...)

In a late, grate [sic] bid for Gloranthanness, I cry despately out for a topic; what about:-

Has nonsense like this happened in Glorantha? A modest instance is Nysalor, who as is now well-known, instantly corrupted the Dara Happans into minions of chaos by his Seductively Simple plan of giving them a calendar that had a whole number of weeks in it! (28 weeks x 10 days, plus 1 Sacred Time light-fingeredly appropriated from the Theyalans, reportedly too squiffy at the time to be keeping a proper guard on it.) What they did before this isn't absolutely clear, but I'm sure it's a major factor in them being so uptight and crochety about the state of the universe, and the moral dangers of today's youth corrupting itself with the lewd modern decadence of hula-hoops.

Any other nominations? Has your favourite culture ever found itself cut a few weeks short by some minor local difficulty like the Dawn, the Sunstop, or scribes who overdid the after-dinner snuff to the point of imbicilic innumeracy? Do tell.

Cheers,
Alex.