John Milius' Conan

From: Gian Gero <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:13:05 GMT

Lately I re-watched John Milius' Conan, the one movie that I consider the best heroic fantasy one of the XX century.

Question is: in GT, how do you translate the various people and cults displayed in the movie (not in Howard's literature, I recommend for brevity's sake)? This is not just a futile speculation, since I often try hard to give my players a true Gloranthan view of their chars' culture, but it's a hard task 'cos most Italians are afar from anglo-saxon or celtic or gothic tradition, such as the majority of you WASP RQers is much more versed into. A movie would be an excellent media to illustrate some exempla for their roleplaying.

Cimmerians are a perfect (a bit primitive) Orlanthi/Lodril/Humakti/Ernalda culture, IMO (rem the enchant iron spell vs the riddle of steel). Nomads are similar to Pentans, whereas the civilized guys (Zamora) are akin to a semi civilized Gloranthan culture, such as Tarsh or Balazar (with cities ruled by barbarian adventurers).
Thulsa Doom, IMOHO, is a Henotheist sorcere, someone like the Arkati or the Seshnelan Serpent Kings. He is a mystic demi-god (not malkioni) and shows sorcery powers (shapechange, dominate, venom) and oratory. What are his retainers? At the beginning, the Vanir mercenaries resemble Valind Warriors, but Doom's personal bodyguard is more difficult to name after. They enjoy slavery (no Orlanthi attitude), the worship of a sorcery-versed self-made god; they are riders, disciplinate soldiers and their leaders display impressive crushing weapons (hammers and axes). They are not knights or malkioni either. Could they be Arkati humans, or even Zorak Zorani, I wonder? Even Thulsa Doom's Standard, two serpents at the sides of a black orb, reminds me of the Darkness Rune with Beast/Spirit connections. Which deity, in GT, has Darkness and beast runes? and a clear affinity with fire symbology, as well (the initiates' candles and torches and white/yellow robes)?

I would be very interested in any comment. Ciao
Gian