Lunar factions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:15:38 +1300

Gian Gero:

>Peter: I suppose the Army in Prax is antilocal because they are most eager
>to fight the nomads, not to understand them (it's their job after all);

Hmm. I had understood that you were talking about the Lunars in Dragon Pass where they have to deal with Orlanthi rather than those in Prax. As a rule, they are not really eager to understand the nomads (SorEel and a few others are exceptions) but as for fighting them, this has several problems.

The Nomads are more mobile than the Lunar Army and so it will be at a severe disadvantage (similar to Crassus against the Parthians). Hence the Lunars will want to let their Sable Allies (Lunar Converts) drive off other nomads leaving their armies to dominate the people of the valley.

I should point out that "the job of the army is to fight". They are really there to occupy and to deter others from fighting them. Thus most commanders will take a more worldly view of their situation than "sighted sartarites, slaughtered same".

>if they are Orlanthi convertees, they could be even more
>integralistic oriented than their converters themselves!

Most of the Provincials in the army are not Orlanthi convertees. The countries which they came from (Tarsh etc) used to be Orlanthi Kingdoms but the Seven Mothers have displaced the worship of Orlanth there (often leaving gods like Lhankor Mhy intact) for at least a century or more. The Provincials are still Orlanthi in the sense that their cultural background is Orlanthi (much like Warsaw Pact Poland had a catholic background and a communist ideology).

>I assume illuminates in
>Prax understand that the open employ of chaos is politically unocrrect,
>even if useful (whereas the scythes are less skeptical on this subject).

There probably is a very wise reason for not using Chaotic Magic in Prax in that it might awake the Devil. I don't know of any Lunar chaotic units in Prax.