Conan in Glorantha

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:39:16 +1300

Gian Gero:

>Cimmerians are a perfect (a bit primitive) Orlanthi/Lodril/Humakti/Ernalda
>culture, IMO

It's simplest to call them Orlanthi as Orlanthi worship does include all the gods you list (Lodril however is Gustbran). Although it should be said that Conan's own prayer to Crom (Crom, I have never prayed to you before...) is Unorlanthi and more saxon-like. He however has had a disturbed childhood which might explain things.

>whereas the civilized guys (Zamora) are akin to a semi civilized
>Gloranthan culture, such as Tarsh or Balazar (with cities ruled by
>barbarian adventurers).

One can also say Sartar before the Lunars came. Tarsh is really Gaul when your ancestors ruled it.

>Thulsa Doom, IMOHO, is a Henotheist sorcere, someone like the Arkati or
>the Seshnelan Serpent Kings. He is a mystic demi-god (not malkioni) and
>shows sorcery powers (shapechange, dominate, venom) and oratory.

Thulsa Doom is obviously a degenerate EWF magician (who were mystics). His snakeform is a prelude to him becoming a dragon and his other powers are related to this. He could be an (or even THE) Argrath.

>What are his retainers? At the beginning, the Vanir mercenaries resemble
>Valind Warriors, but Doom's personal bodyguard is more difficult to name
>after. They enjoy slavery (no Orlanthi attitude)

Actually slavery is an Orlanthi attitude, Orlanthi slaves are thralls and Argrath does enslave a whole clan at one point. It's disappearing in Sartar because they wish to emphasize their freedom in the face of the Lunar Conquest. Not all clans practice thralldom however.

>, the worship of a
>sorcery-versed self-made god; they are riders, disciplinate soldiers and
>their leaders display impressive crushing weapons (hammers and axes). They
>are not knights or malkioni either. Could they be Arkati humans, or even
>Zorak Zorani, I wonder?

To me, they look like Orlanthi weaponthanes as those are disciplined warriors on horseback.

>Even Thulsa Doom's Standard, two serpents at the
>sides of a black orb, reminds me of the Darkness Rune with Beast/Spirit
>connections.

Turn it upside down and you'll see it's actually a modified Chaos Rune! When Thulsa, in his sermon, shouts "Emptiness, who will embrace emptiness?", this is exactly what he's referring to. Obviously some sort of warped mysticism IMO.

>and a clear affinity with fire symbology, as well (the
>initiates' candles and torches and white/yellow robes)?

Given that the King at one point says "At first, I thought it was another snake-and-drugs cult", I think the candle wax actually contains a powerful narcotic that spaces the holder into mystical realms.