Revengeful cults

From: Gian Gero <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 14:09:30 GMT

I have just had an idea (triumphal fanfares).

I had a problem: my PCs keep on irritating funny and friendly cults like Zorak Zoran, Thed, Yara Aranis, Pocharngo, the Bat, Thanatar, Babeester Gor etc. (yes, dear MOB: also FroWoman ;-) A revengeful cultist, some years ago, managed to deliver a bomb-letter full of decomposed frog material to my Sorcerer PC and he, who was allergic due to overexposure in the 5-eyes prison, died at the shock). I'm afraid that in a future not too afar, they will be full-time busy at fleeing avenging spirits of reprisals, fighting murderous cultists, paid mercenaries, avoiding plots and paying ransoms to the kins of their dead foes.

I suppose this stuff could eventually weary my friends, who manage the PCs, and they could lose interest in the campaign itself (quite a pity after eleven years...).

So I thought: why not assuming that, when a Gloranthan adventurer kills/defiles an enemy/artifact of a cult who is not already a sworn-foe of his own (as an Orlanthi who kills a Babeester Gor lassie that refuses to give him the weapon to stop the Broo-horde), can take the body/stolen object to the correct enemy temple (e.g. the local Zorak Zoran shrine) and so deflect the rightful wrath of the offended god/dess towards his/her/its old nemesis. Is my proposal clear?

Many objections rise in my mind (not last the vision of a chamber-of- compensation in Pavis full of corpses...), but I feel it could riff-or-raff work.

What do you say, friends?
Ciao
Gianfranco