Re: Canal Building

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_dynamite.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 00:26:37 +1000

> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 12:25:13 -0800 (PST)
> From: "D. Pearton" <pearton_at_u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Large scale canals

> 2. There is a god of canals and large-scale irrigation in the Dara Happan
> pantheon - he's on the Gods wall I believe though I can't remember his
> name. Importing his cult into Sun County might help although the mythic
> landscape of the river of Cradles might be too different.

Interesting. In my campaign there is a minor city god, the founder of Trollbridge. Hince Penri The Irrigator. Runes Water, Earth. Traditionally, a Troll who aided the Earth cults by providing water to Aldraya during Sunstop, and in return getting shade. One of the qualifications for Initiation is the construction and maintenance of a Bridge, which binds the Water to service. Propitiation of the Sky (through which the Earth must travel to go over and subjugate the water) is strongly advised.

It's one of the reasons why Trolls are so often found associated wuth Bridges, especially lurking in the Dark underneath them (and out of the Sky's vision).

For mythic reasons, any Elf or Earth Cultist who is encountered by a cultist must be given a drink of water if they ask for it. But in return, they can be asked for shade and shelter from the Sun.

Another ceremony is the propitiation of the Water by letting it loose from the Earth's confines (ie digging a well). Good cult members must tread a fine line, balancing the construction of wells (to free the water from the earth), canals (to make use of the water) and bridges (to bind the water with earth through the sky).

It's said that Hince Penri was an advisor during the construction of the Good Canal, but that's both unlikely and very anachronistic. Of course, Heroquests can change this...

Cultists of Hince Penri can control both small Earth and Water elementals, depending upon whether they last built a well, a bridge or a canal.
- --

              http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
aebrain_at_dynamite.com.au     <> <>    How doth the little Crocodile
 abrain_at_cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo     oo