Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #306

From: Bob Stancliff <stanclif_at_ufl.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:25:08 -0500

> Trotsky:
> > I disagree with Martin Laurie's assertion that most Lunar
> > bureaucrats are Buseri. The write-up of Moonson
> > Imperator in Tales struck me as more on the mark

> Martin Laurie
> Changing from Buserian makes no sense to me, in
> the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought...
> For the Buseri we have hours of toil, adding up columns,
> painfully reprinting the precepts etc,

        Consider the Chinese empire of the Middle Kingdom. No matter who was emperor, the same bureaucracy ran the country and insured continuity from dynasty to dynasty. It was a meritocracy based on testing applicants who wished to join, to prove that they were worthy... sound a lot like a cult.

        Unless you expect a communist style bloodbath during government changes, the bureaucracy will maintain a close-knit membership with common beliefs.  Over time, some changes could occur, but it will start at the lowest levels and will probably be reflected by members joining Buserian also, in able to move up.

        Either choice is possible since there was a conquest by the goddess to establish the Lunar Empire. There could have been an initial wide-spread replacement of bureaucrats at the beginning. Stancliff