Tlon, Quackbar & Orbis Tertius

From: Guy Jobbins <gej865_at_spp2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 12:12:01 GMT

hey there,

this appeared on my email this morning:

The barman says, "Hey, you're a duck"

"Nothing wrong with your eyesight," observes the duck.

"Yeah, but I mean - you can TALK" says the barman.

"Guess your ears are fine, too," answers the duck. "Now, can I have a
beer please."

Barman serves the duck a pint and asks him what he's doing in the area.

"Oh," says the duck. "I work on the building site over the road. We'll
be here for a couple of weeks and I'll be in each lunchtime for a pint."

And each day the duck waddles over from his job at the building site and has his lunchtime lager.

Next week, the circus comes to town on its annual round. The circus owner comes in for a pint, and the barman tells him about the talking duck.

"You should get it into your circus," he says. "You'd make a lot of
cash out of a talking duck. I'll speak to him about it."

So, the following day, the duck comes in at lunchtime.

And the barman says: "You know, the circus is in town and yesterday I was chatting to the owner. He's very interested in you."

"Really?" says the duck.

"Yeah. You could make a lot of money there. I can fix it up for you
easily."

"Hang on," said the duck. "You did say a CIRCUS, didn't you?"

"That's right."

"That's one of those tent things, isn't it? With a big pole in the
middle?"

"Yeah!"

"That's canvas, isn't it?" said the duck.

"Of course," replied the barman."I can get you a job there starting
tomorrow. The circus owner's dead keen."

The duck looked very puzzled.

"What the hell would he want with a plasterer?"

I smiled with amused tolerance at the superstitous fears of those proclaiming the end of the world being nigh, what with the supposed 8/1 bug hitting the Empire and the alleged manifestation of the Red Moon in the RW.

I am no longer laughing.

the thin veil that has seperated Glorantha and Earth _is_ permeable and appears to be disintegrating. This not only explains the crap RW jokes that pepper the maps of Glorantha, it also explains the appearance of Gloranthan archetypes in the jokes of RW humans _who have never heard of Glorantha_.

today a drulz in a joke, tomorrow there'll be one going beserk in the trolley check-out que in Waitrose.

given the rapid sequence of these trans-dimensionsal phenomena, i predict that there will be a complete integration between the RW and Glorantha by the end of February.

given the recent discussions on cultural identification, or lack of, between the two worlds on this estimable digest, can anyone tell me where I and everyone else in Birmingham, UK, might end up?

yours, in terrible, quaking fear,
guy
Guy Jobbins
School of Public Policy
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham
B15 2TT
UK

Tel: 0121 449 6522 (home), 0121 414 7387 (work) email gej865_at_spp2.bham.ac.uk