Summoning Giannization

From: Gian Gero <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:03:21 GMT

Alex summoned me. Blame him.

>Subject: Atheists and faith.
>
> > Another notion is that of 'emotional truth': it's so because I feel it
> > ("know" it) to be so, regardless of Positivists banging on about the
> > meaningless of said claims. >>
> > Seems to me those two statements are the same - the latter just
> > provides the explanation of why 'evidence' isn't needed in order for one
> > believe. But I digress...
>Well, they may or may not be the same depending on what you mean by
>'evidence'. Given maximally rigorous criteria, can you get much
>further than cogito ergo sum? (Sorry, Gian.) It's one thing to say
>you have belief, without what a LP would call a means of verification,
>(I'm not a religious person, but I'm sure I do that twelve times a
>day if I trouble to get out of bed at all...), and quite another to
>say you have a belief on no basis at all. Back in the real world,
>away from philosophy, law courts, and maths, belief is conditioned
>by experience, not by proof.

I have the definite feeling that a lot of you simply write in the digest without reading much of the naswers and comments. Try to show me the contrary.
I already said so, but I repeat (and you can re-ignore, of course):cogito ergo sum (you are learning, Alex), by modern philosophy is not an avidence anymore. It's just the evidence of subjectivity, but evidence implies objectivity so... what a mess!
In the Christian Catholic sense: faith and believing is not a matter of emotion, no-basis, mere thought or superstition. It is a matter of subjective evidence (the mess is back) based on the fact that you, as a human being, have been Loved by Someone. The rest, all the rest, is subsequential. Love here is not an emotion but an act of will and of being by God Himself.
I do not want to convert you, guys, I simply show why I think that in Glorantha, faith, being based on do ut des, I give Power because you, deity, give me blessing (also the Invisible God). So, I say, RW faith, Christian RW faith does not exist in Glorantha. It is more similar to medieval and primitive superstition (I propritiate the deity so he/she/it spares me, gives me power, victory, fruits etc.

A pity to apprehend you are no religious, Alex, really.

Ciao
Gian