Re: Sorcery in Kralorela

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 01:53:54 GMT

Peter Metcalfe:

> One could argue that baisc sorcery is incompatible with the
> draconism or enlightenment that good kralori subscribe to

It's not clear that that's strictly true. Certainly it won't _help_ you achieve those, but by and large neither does worship, which is tolerated and in some cases encouraged.

> In particular, I can think sorcery should be available to the Cult of
> Immanent Mastery (for obvious reasons)

That they're a GL remnant? Not necessary that they combined _more than one_ GL error into themselves, nor that it survived in that form over the centuries.

> and the Sekeverans (because it's evil).

Boo, hiss.

> The NiangMaoist laity could use sorcery to give them an exotic feel

That would seem _definitely_ counter to NiangMaoist practice -- but then again, if you're a lay-person, and subscribe (more or less) exclusively to NM ideals, you're hosed anyway. So in that sense, I suppose you can get up to all sorts of nonsense in your quotidian life, and then late in life renounce it all, or simply use your wealth, power, whatever in extragently generous acts of compassion in the hopes of a nifty next life.

> Such as Thalurzni's Pills of Immortality. I suppose special inks
> to write down magic spells, black lotus dust etc are also in order.

That sorta thing.

> The Rocketeers. IMO the Kralori army also has a lot of gizmos
> that they captured from the dwarves at the battle of warring
> ford and I suppose they need use sorcery to operate these.

Those sound fairly 'alchemical' too, so I have no trouble conceptualising those. (Even if they're regarded as Lunatic Mad Scientists by the Respectable Traditional Alchemists...)

Cheers,
Alex.