Balazar and Yelmalio

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:28:00 -0500

Nils said :

>Speaking as webmaster for the Issaries site, I can only say
>that any confusion and inconsistencies in the Balazar material
>are unintentional.

I hadn't really thought they were intentional just a bit rushed perhaps.

>The inconsisencies in general and Tharkantus/Yelmalio in
>particular stem from the fact that those who prepared the
>stuff tried to update 18 years old material, which also
>contains confusing references.

Very true.

>About Tharkantus:

>"Basically, Balazar worshipped Tharkantus, who is very similar to modern
>day Yelmalio. All of Tharkantus' worshippers in _Balazar's native land_
were
>killed. Balazar brought the cult to Votankiland, where it has survived to
the present
>day."

I take it that this is a quote from Greg? Is Vanch Balazar's original home?

>Anyway, we are looking into making the web pages a little
>clearer, to avoid confusing newcomers!

Wonderful. If you need any help let me know. I love tinkering with HTML.

Alex wrote in reponse to my way back when question about West King Wind.

>The impression I took from the G:G write-up was that West King Wind
>was such a 'recent discovery' that it hadn't been 'realized' that
>he could be identified with Orlanth, or come to that with Rebellus
>Terminus. So I'm suspicious that there would exist a body of
>mythology which made him so explicitly 'cognate' as this. This
>may also be of great significance when they run into the Dara
>Happans, as to whether any of their anti-Orlanth magic is effective
>on this entity, or not. (Assuming they think to try it, that is.)

Fortunately the character that needed the cult met his end at... the end of several Lunar scimitars so I don't need the cult any more. I also realize that I was going about it the wrong way so IF I was going to try again (which I'm not) I'd take a different approach and just make him a historical introduction to the region (not that I'm sure how I would have done that...)

Thanks,

Oliver D. Bernuetz
www.geocities.com/bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca