RE: Hero Wars Mechanics Discussion

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 14:44:08 -0800

Tom Merchant complains that we can't discuss HW battle results without knowing the HW mechanics. I don't think this is entirely true. The battle rules in Tarsh War can be used with any number of rules systems with a little fiddling. In the example given (archers vs spear-armed infantry) once you know Who Wins and by How Much it's up to the gm to decide What Happens. A Big Win for the archers could mean a successful ambush or catching the infantry in a formation change, inflicting heavy casualties and/or routing the infantry. A Win means fewer casualites but the infantry is forced to withdraw in some disorder. A Win for the infantry could allow the commander to decide between a steady advance towards the archers, forcing them to fall back, or a disciplined hold or withdrawl, while a Big Win for the infantry could be anything from a sudden cloudburst or wind-shift (Yay, Orlanth!) to a blinding light reflected from shield and helm (Yay, Yelm!) or some thing else that spoils the archers aim and allows the infantry to charge home and come to grips with/rout the archers.

Gary R Switzer
Aero Hobbies