ZZ Vengance and Onslaught Stats (maybe)

From: Dan McCluskey <daniem_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:28:23 -0800

On the Subject of ZZi wanting vengance for a dead leader:

It is important to remember that for all their fearsomness and prowess, ZZi are basically just bullies. They will take vengance if and only if they think there is a reasonable chance for success. If you win a battle decisively enough, you are unlikely to be attacked again for some time (if at all). If you don't grossly outmatch the remaining troops, there will almost certainly be at least one attempt, as one or more lieutenant guns for the deceased Death Lord's position as Head Badass (of course the "decesed"s zombie/mummy or whatnot will be along ;-) but if you manage to defeat them handily, the cult is not likely to persue you suicidally. Also, other Death Lords are under no compulsion to claim vengance for their "co-cultist", and may even be secretly thankful for you taking out a potential rival in the cult hierarchy (though they also will gladly smash you to little bits if you are nearby and weak).

Now if you take out one member of a gang, you will have to face the rest of the gang, and it's leader... but once the gang as a whole is beaten, you are probably safe (They will go find easier pickins).

WRT Onslaught:

I am afraid, Alex that the Crimson Greg is much more in Martin's camp than yours. Onslaught is a remarkably easy char to represent and play in Hero Wars... the "most accurate" glorantha simulation system yet. In fact, I suspect his entire char sheet would look something like:

Onslaught --
Close Combat 5www
Intolerant of Weakness 10ww
Intimidate 12w

The teeth and all the rest are just flavor, though I suspect that Martin would argue that "Iron Teeth 3ww" and "physically fit 14ww" should be included, just to round him out ;-)...

Onslaught may not be anywhere near my favorite gloranthan char, but there isn't anything especially "un-gloranthan" about him in light of Hero Wars. Honestly, I hope he gets lots of Power Gaming Munchkin company with the realease of the system, because that means that Issaries will be able to publish more books without us all having to upgrade to "Hero" in the GTA.

Note, of course, that any trollkin with "Hide 19" can easily "defeat" Onslaught (as far as the trollkin is concerned) by simply staying out of his way.

danm

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #350