MOB might be joking

From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 00:51:07 +1100

G'day all,

MOB might be joking

Gian said:

>Lemme explain with an example, Simon: you know Hut of Darkness by MOB, a
>scenario in which the PCs discover in the end they are paid to kill a
>powerful Death Lord.

For reference, this adventure was published in Tales #9, and will feature in the soon-to-be-published "Best of Tales" compendium.

>MOB might be joking, but he wrote: "eventually the killers will be
>persecuted by ZZ avengers, HellRoar, the Mummy of the Death Lord, his
>revengeful colleagues".

What it actually sez at the end of this scenario (which bears more than a passing resemblance to a certain film about the Vietnam War), is:

"In death, Ajan Toranj performs *divine intervention*, bellowing out to his god. As he dies, there is a momentary roar of wind, but further effects are not obvious. Many months later, a slavering party of Zorak Zoran hunters will set out to avenge Ajan's death, led by the lich of Ajan himself. This party is accompanied by Hell Roar, the Zorak Zorani spirit of retribution. As the avengers draw near, the characters begin to hear a low whistling sound, the fellwind of the underworld. When the attack finally comes, the sound will be deafening!"

>He (MOB) was probably joking, but this suggestion of his is consistent with
>what I think of ZZ, Storm Bull, Thanathar, Babeester and other cults' way of
>thinking.

I wasn't joking, I'm not sure why Gian thinks I was. However, the above makes clear that this special retribution comes because in his death throes Ajan Toranj asks his god for it, using divine intervention.

Joe said:

>I hope MOB wasn't joking. Those are great ideas to spawn off new
>advnetures! My experience is that players like to have "campaigns" whenever
>possible, as opposed to single, unrelated adventures. IMO, the ZZ vengeance
>has to be unavoidable, but it's all right if it's not insurmountable, as
>long as the players sweat a little!

Right on! The "momentary roar of wind" as he expires is meant to scare the shit out of the victorious players, and give 'em the creeps for weeks on end, whenever there is more than a light breeze...

Cheers,

MOB PS Gian's departure. I'm confused as to what was inappropriate about his post:

>I am just puzzled.
>Anyone likes to help me?

This, a question about the way the Digest operates from a relative newcomer, seemed to be more on-topic than, say, Gian's pet theory of the evolution of RW cultures. Chucking it in with a flamboyant signing-off seems a bit of an overreaction though. Maybe he'll come back when he's grown a thicker hide.

>>Gianfranco Geroldi, Cremona, Italia

Cremona, eh? Nick put me on to a highly entertaining account of a fellow countryman of Gian's, one Liudprand of Cremona, who visited the Byzantine court a good twelve-hundred or so years ago. Like Gian, he felt hard done by during his stay, and also left uncomplimentary messages to his hosts (on the walls of the draughty villa they put him up in) when he left for home.

MICHAEL O'BRIEN - 9 Parker Street Richmond VIC 3121 Australia +61-3-9428-9048
           Email me : mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au
     MOB's Home Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/index.html
MOB's Glorantha Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/glorindex.html
 DOB Footy Scrapbook: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/dobfootycard.html