Re: HW Stats

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:12:39 -0500 (EST)

Wesley Quadros :

>In a one-on-one fight I can see Onslaught being on par with Jar-Eel and
>Harrek, unfortunately for Onslaught they both tramp about with great big
>warbands and would probably dispatch Onslaught after a few _very_ bloody
>minutes of carnage.

I can't see it lasting that long. How long would onslaught last against Morden? Harrek and Jar-Eel have shield bearers on a par with Morden.

What do I base this on? Onslaught as described seems like an absolutely top-of-the-range RQ3 uber-character. I haven't seen his stats, which I believe exist and we don't have stats for absolutely top-of-the-range heroquesters, but it seems pretty obvious that they're in a different league alltogether. We have a taster in the story fragment about Morden and it seems pretty clear that Onslaught couldn't touch him. Heroic abilities are pretty much an auto-win against anything but other appropriate heroic abilities.

Having said that I think that's perhaps being unfair to Martin. Untill the fight with Morden we didn't have any actual descriptions of what a fight between heroes is like. We don't have any descriptions of what Harrek or Jar-Eel can do in combat. In Martin's campaign world perhaps Onslaught realy is on a par with Argrath or Harrek. The scale of abilities in any given campaign is surely a matter of personal choice for the GM. But with HW the benchmark against which we measure the abilities of characters in our games and in Gloranth as a whole will probably change considerably.

Simon Hibbs