Re: Manifesting the Dragon vs Being the Dragon

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 14:27:23 GMT

Gary and Peter muse on adminsterin' Draconic Whuppin's:
> >>That general flaps his sleeves at you and you fly
> >>through a wall? Getting hit with the wing of a 200 foot long
> >>dragon will do that to you.

> >I think you'll actually have to manifest the wing before
> >this happens.

> Certainly the PoIM guy would have to do so, his effects
> (breath fire, fly, etc) being so closely linked to his physical
> form. Functionally it's little different from what the Hsunchen
> do, just better. My (Darudist?) general above has all those
> effects at his disposal (at a much higher strength, too) without
> resorting to the crude modification of his body parts.

I'm tempted to agree with you. Of course, there's still a deal of manifestation going on here, otherwise Peter wouldn't be being defenestrated without benefit of prior window, but I can imagine lots of fine lines being drawn about the 'refinement' of various forms and degrees of such manifestation, and lots of tut-tutting accordingly. (Also not the sort of thing a _general_ would do, as a rule: like the exarchs, their draconic natures have a less gross, and more collective bent.)

> I just think the coolness factor of a Jet Li or Bridgette Lin being
> able to Crack Open a Can of Magical Whupass without resorting
> to wearing a Lizard Suit is both higher and consistent with the
> Kralorian information we have so far.

I think this articulates well how I think of our earlier topic of 'animal styles' in Kralori martial arts, too. A member of the traditional schools is likely to manifest his Tiger Strike by punching Gary (to be equal oppurtunity in my violent examples) across the room, focussing his self-individuation and feelings of aggression into his closed fist. The speed and power for which the tiger is a metaphor are what's most relevant here, not being 11' long, stripey, and having a basso profundo purr...

Cheers,
Alex.