Is Glorantha Dead???

From: Rick Meints <RMEINTS_at_ford.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 14:30:55 +0000

Andreas observes and declares that RQ is dead...

MOB used to label Runequest as moribund (dying), but his Vale RQ speech shifted his descriptive label to "gone". I try to see things more optimistically, as long as I can set the terms of my definition.

To me, Runequest is still alive, it's just on a steady decline. If you want to play Runequest, you can still do so. There's more than enough campaign material already published to last anyone a lifetime. Technically speaking Runequest isn't out of print either. You can buy Pavis & Big Rubble, soon to be followed by reprints of Griffin Mountain, Borderlands, and more. On the secondary market you pick pick up almost any of the official items, so buying the out-of-print stuff is just a matter of time and money. For what it's worth, the average prices being paid for RQ2 collectables has been on the decline for many months now or at least stabilized. It's certainly cheaper to buy the stuff now than it was 5 years ago. Granted, part of this may be to a decline in demand. It's safe to say that a decent percentage of players have retired and not been replaced by newcomers.

On the other hand, nothing substantially NEW will probably get published for Runequest besides the last two forthcoming issues of Tales, future issues of Tradetalk, the Book of Drastic Resolutions, and YBoT3.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #363