Runequest/Hero Wars

From: Bob Stancliff <stanclif_at_ufl.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 17:56:22 -0500

> Jim Chapin
> The advantage of Runequest over D & D used to be its gritty realism.
> Combat was dangerous. Fighting anyone could kill you; someone
> weaker than you was still a threat.(cf. Rurik and the trollkin)

        100% right in concept, but shouldn't that be Balastor and the trollkin??

> I must confess that Hero Wars, just of hearing about it on
> this line, sounds like Tunnels and Trolls.
> you are powerful, you just step on people less powerful.

        A good referee can limit this through narration, but I am a wargamer and don't even want a 'true' story-telling style. I fully expect to be depressed.

        Also, to save Glorantha, munchkins will need to be recruited in large numbers, which means that they will start, and play, power-game sessions that ignore culture, plot, and subtlety. We sacrifice that game to pay for new concepts and ideas.

        I am one of the people trying to use computers to handle the numbers so that RQ can be smoothed out without losing the grittiness. Stancliff