Hero Wars

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 10:46:00 +0800

James Chapin
>I must confess that Hero Wars, so far, (not on the basis of playing it, but
>just of hearing about it on this line) sounds like Tunnels and Trolls.

        Not that awful an analysis, actually. HW does very much pin your combat ability down to a single number (much like T&T 'adds'). The most important difference (apart from the mechanics still continuing to work properly at high power levels), is that in T&T, combat was pretty much all there is. In HW, there is a whole lot more. So while 1-1 combat may sometimes come down to a simple 'biggest number wins', give or take a bit of statistical variance, you have the option to try and engage your opponent on a different playing field (say, in debate) and still keep the game interesting, and still be in an area well covered by the game mechanics.

        And that said, HW is much more interesting than just 'biggest number wins' when the numbers are relatively similar - ie within a level of mastery or so. You have different betting strategies to try, various ways to augment your chance, options to aid your friends, different choices of skill to use, etc. As at least 90% of HW combats are likely to occur in this range, HW combat should actually be rather fun.

>I hope I'm wrong, but, so far, Hero Wars sounds like the perfect munchkin
>game.

        In Hero Wars, playing a munchkin will probably quickly bore you witless. The game is dull when you overpower your opponents. And Hero Wars will be a great roleplayers game - hopefully a game in which playing a non-violent character can be just as fulfilling.

	Cheers
		David