Is RQ dead?

From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_nwpeople.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 10:03:07 -0000

Recalling posts on this digest from long ago ...

I think RQ had an effect on Glorantha which wasn't particularly intended. The mechanics falvoured the world so that, although there was a fair intersection between RQ-Glorantha and 'Glorantha' the two were not equivalent.

I remember an interesting discussion we had about why are there no +1 swords in Glorantha - or rather, RQ-Glorantha. The reason there aren't any in RQ is, I suppose, because the rules didn't support it or encourage it. The reason there aren't any in 'Glorantha' is that magical swords would never be that banal.

Hero Wars presents presents a new opportunity to get the system more tailor made to the world.

I would propose that the RQ side of RQ-Glorantha should be allowed to die a graceful death, or at least fade into obscurity, whereas the Gloranthan side of RQ-Glorantha should be very much kept alive, but maybe updated.

The Cradle scenario, for example, which is probably my all-time favourite scenario in -any- system, might change in the light of what we learn about the workings of Glorantha. Some of this, actually, was quite free-form, like some of the Lunar onslaught and the way the Orlanthi re-floated the thing, but some (the heavy Warding spells) was RQish.

Will there be Battle Magic and Rune Spells in Hero Wars, or will people have more loosely defined 'abilities'? I suspect the latter and I suspect that things won't quite 'work' the same way anymore. The old campaigns can still happen, Borderlands or Pavis for example, but in substance rather than detail.

Richard