More snideness on behalf of HW?

From: bjm10_at_cornell.edu
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:46:01 -0500 (EST)

> >their dice play their personalities for them. Of course, I generally
> >dislike any game that takes a mechanistic approach to character
> >personalities.
>
> I sympathise with the general sentiment, but I think you are taking
> this to an extreme.
>
> Are you saying that RPGs should not allow people to play characters
> with social skills that the player does not posess? Isn't that being

No, I am not. Read EXACTLY THE WORDS I WROTE! Of course, you go off on a tangent, presuming that I did say what you asked if I said. And, of course, you decide to put a nasty spin onto me for it, even though I did not make as extreme a statement as you conclude. I stated, and I quote: "I generally dislike any game that takes a mechanistic approach to character personalities."

> pretty elitist? Suppose I decide I want to play a character with a
> very high Charisma and spend lots of points on abilities like Bargain,
> Persuade and Write Poetry. Are you saying that the GM is perfectly
> entitled to ignore those abilities completely and only take into
> account my personal performance?

Idunno, what exactly did I write? What evidence do you have that I take such an extreme. Where do you glean enough evidence to ramble on and on against me for paragraphs on the matter?

> As a final point, not all GMs are experts at freeform play, or have
> enough experience to feel comfortable winging it all the time. A good

Ah, yes, the inevitable kneejerk snide against anybody who doesn't bow down and worship HW sight unseen.