Trading Yelmalio

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_telia.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 08:55:50 +0100

Joerg:
> > Yelmalio was introduced through trading
>> with Lunar Tarsh. Those who converted to or paid respect to Yelmalio
>> ways prospered. Strictly business. Most of the Big Clans have
>> representatives in Alda Chur, who 'infected' the clan. Alda Chur is
>> highly dependent on trade, and conversion (actual or fake) to
>> relatively neutral Yelmalio meant more and better trade for the clans.
>
>So, all Phargentes had to do was to make sure that Yelmalio clans got
>better deals?

I don't think Phargentes necessarily had to make sure of that _personally_, mind you. And it's not only a matter of _better_ deals. Some traders from Lunar Tarsh might not trade _at all_ with orlanthing scum, making it rather attractive for the economically-minded to convert to lunar-friendly or neutral cults to get trade opportunities. After the conquest, rebel or recalcitrant clans were of course taxed more heavily as well: further incitament to convert.

Turning to Yelmalio also meant that clans could avoid the wrath of the Bigger Wind.

So, IMO, most of the diplomatic and 'peaceful' clans more or less adopt Yelmalio to avoid being marked as Really Bad Guys by either camp. Which to me implies that the clans that still haven't strayed from Orlanth's ways are pretty hardcore orlanthi and/or pretty isolated and thus somewhat safe from large-scale aggression.

This is the (over[?]-) simplified big picture, of course.