Re: Newgrange

From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 19:43:07 -0600

>From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
>Subject: Buried
>
>David Dunham:
>> I've only seen a gazillion photos of Newgrange, but I have no idea
>> how it was actually used. Presumably for interring someone rather
>> important.
>
>If so, no evidence for use as a grave has been found for Newgrange
>proper (dunno about Knowth and Dowth, but I suppose they were graves).

        Untrue. When Michael O'Kelly conducted a series of annual digs at Newgrange from 1962 to 75, he found the remains of 2 bodies in the main chamber, whose bones were scattered about, suggesting that they might have been moved in there sometime after the site was built or disturbed at some point by grave robbers. He also found the cremated remains of at least 3 and possibly more people, as well as several pendants and other items. Given that the site was first opened in 1699 and was visited by an unknown number of visitors who might have taken souvenirs of their visit, there may well have been more bodies or funeral goods. Although 5-6 bodies is a small number for such a massive site, it seems incontroverible that Newgrange was intended at least in part as a burial site.

        At Knowth, the remains of 20 cremated people were found in the eastern tomb, and I believe there were remains found in the western tomb as well, although I don't have figures on that. Dowth also contained graves.

>I agree with the trend, though: burial mounds yes, megalithic structures
>no.

        Actually, I'd think that megalithic structures would fit in perfectly well for Orlanthi, especially if you're emphasizing the Celtic aspect. Remember that many burial bounds become megaliths after the dirt has worn away and the stone structure remains.

Andrew E. Larsen