Beached Giant &....

From: Ilav Topix <ilavtopix_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 07:28:14 GMT

> In sum I'd say: roleplaying good, combat bad. Currently my group is
> contemplating grafting RQ combat and HW character creation &
> non-combat together; whether this unholy merger would work is another
> question.

Dear Theo: I think this result is great. Combat is always easier to modify and play with different rules, if you don't like the results. If this is how HW works, I look forward to adopt it.
BTW: where are the rules to convert past characters (RQ3) to HW heroes (or should I say "upgrade"?).

> As said, if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the flavor
>of
> combat, I'd appreciate it. Perhaps messages could be sent to me
> directly to avoid the righteous anger of the RQ-grognards...
Let them grognard a little more (Napoleon would appreciate that): I suggest that combat has to be more roleplayed than in RQ: if the better rules of HW are those that allow better roleplaying, methink that you should use this advantage even in combat situations. Leave your chars more free to manage their style of melee or skirmish or battle and be more creative with their enemies' too. I think this could work (but I have zero experience myself, I admit).

>From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
>Subject: Beached Giant
>
>Where was his Elder Surf board?
>
>Keith N

It was not a surf board, Keith. T'was the Unbreakable Sword unappropriately used as a board. A powerful sea entity with strong detect law ability saw this, was scandalized and slipped it right under the foot of the giant, who therefore smashed messily on the beach. Poor fellow! More questing at hand!

>From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
>Subject: Re: Why the Lunars invaded DP
>
> I would think it would work more the other way. The need to
>enslave Orlanth would be the more secret motive and the desire for the
>outlet to the ocean would be the more public. I doubt the empire is in the
>business of advertizing it's mythic policy goals

It could be, Andrew, but I apply a real world habit: use religion as an excuse to cover your greed.
In G it could be the opposite, I admit, but I am biased too ;-)

Vox populi vox dei
Ilav