Re: Huge bets

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:48:35 EST

Simon is quite correct in saying:-
<<
 On a side-note. Can archers make such huge bets?

 I'm not talking just about archery here, but generaly in Hero Wars discussions
 I've seen people talk about SP/AP betting just as a statistical game. I think  it's very important to keep focused on the fact that an SP bet directly  links to the character(s) taking a commensurately risky game-world action.

 In archery, this might mean risking overextending the bow, climbing up on  a dodgy branch in a precarious possition and risking falling in order to  get a better angle on your target, exposing yourself to counterattacks  by allied enemy archers or charges by cavalry, etc. However the onus  should be on the player making the statement of intent to describe their  character's actions, and then justify the AP/SP stake based on that.

 I know we're talking about the game system in general terms here, but I  think it's worth makig this point as it's easy to lose sight of. >>

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment. It is very easy to just say "I bet 50AP" rather than do a bit of imagining. With respect to the specific Archer vs Hero scenario, I guess the risky action would be to hold off "until you see the white of his eyes " to quote Carry on up the Khyber". This is particularly risky and dangerous if Harrek the Berserk is charging at you and your 28 ordinary mates. The action is really one of staying put, keeping your nerve and not running away, firing at will etc. Think of the film 'Zulu' with Michael Caine ordering 'Fire!' every few seconds. Think of Harrek the Berserk in place of all those Zulus and you can see that it would be safer for individual archers to run away, safer for all of the arhers to run away en masse (ie a low bid), but also that they only stand a chance if they stand and face the slavering berserker.

Keith N