Analogues and accessibility

From: richc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:37:13 +0000

Still catching up and now in danger of contravening rule 1 too but

John Hughes:
<<I don_t see how real-world roots _cheapen_ anything, any more than cultural or religious analogues _cheapen_ Glorantha. If anything, it makes the learning curve much more attainable. Given that the joy and the bane of Glorantha is that we are all expected to be in some degree historians, economists, comparative-religionists, anthropologists, biologists, zoologists, ecologists, game designers, dramatists and (non-positivist) poets, I for one don_t mind some aspects of the load being lightened.>>

Spot on mate!

Various people:
<<to paraphrase - something needs to happen to prevent the
Digest disappearing up its own rear.>>

For some time I have had a half-completed article for one of the glossy wargames magazines (that's miniatures gaming for those of you brought up on hexes and cardboard) aimed at introducing Glorantha as a setting for battles or campaigns.

I'd like to be able to say - there's a great and active mailing list on the 'Net where you can ask any further questions but I don't think the Digest is that place. The discussions of (picking topics at random) Kralorelan mysticism and Darudan Draconism are unlikely to appeal to the wargamer looking for an interesting setting for the odd fantasy battle. To be fair to the Digest it's really not meant to be that and neither would a post-publication Hero Wars list be.

Perhaps what is needed is an "Lhankor Mhy Apprentices'" list for newby questions. The problem then arises that it might be underpopulated by folks who would know the answers - or are people who are dedicated enough to send 100 dollars to GTA also dedicated enough to put up with repeated "Who's this Argrath?" questions in order to promote Glorantha?

Richard Crawley

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #395