Armies of Esrolia

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:49:21 -0800

Mikko asks Alek:

>> Men warrior are by no means uncommon in Esrolia

>How are they controled then ?

"When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow." =)

>I think that the bulk of the Esrolian army is cheaply equipped and rather
>poorly trained male spearmen. The Babesteer Gori are the Elites, who lead
>the male units and form elite units. There are some groups of male
>orlanthi, that form small warbands under the rule of the local queens
>warleader, and propably humakti of both genders.

>I take the image of the Esrolian male soldier from the early armies of
>ancient Egypt. No armor but the large shield, and a spear and a dagger for
>weapons. Heavy infantry units can have armor of hippopotamus or crocodile
>hide and sturdier shields, made of the same, and parhaps maces or
>swords. Axes are reserved mostly to the Babeester Gori.

I think that over time the Esrolian army evolves from the model you propose to one more along the lines of the armies fielded by the Ptolemaic Greeks, with a small, mixed core of native elites, Orlanthi infantry, mercenary Western knights, even a few trolls backed (in times of real emergency) by a levy drawn from the cities and equipted by the state. The main purpose of the Army after the Opening is to provide replacements for the Marines of the Holy County Fleet. A lot of replacements are needed, since the Fleet is regularly sunk. (Depressing Holy Country naval chronology available upon request.) I also think that the Babesteer Gori are not the only kind of female warrior types available...plenty of Vingans too, I bet, plus there are likely Heroine Cults of the Queens to organize units around. Perhaps one or more distaff versions of the Theban Sacred Band?

Gary R Switzer
Aero Hobbies