Thanatar

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:33:28 +1300

Ilav Topix:
AL>>>     2) Thanatar's hatred of Lhankor Mhy stems from a battle in which

>>>Lhankor Mhy advised another god on how to defeat Tien's vastly superior
>>>army. Which god did LM advise?

Me>>Nobody knows but Storm Bull, Humakt or Orlanth would not be implausible.

>I would bet on Orlanth or Tada, but I prefer the second. Tien, severed in
>two, survived to his defeat.

Tada is another (colorful) possibility, but Tien wasn't severed as a result of that Battle. According to Cults of Terror, he's beheaded at the Gates of Hell while Troll Gods has him being dismembered in the Glory of the Black Sun (a battle in which Lhankor Mhy is extremely unlikely to have participated in).

Part of the problem is that Than and Atyar are actually two different dieties that were put together. Than is a God of Headhunting, a perversion of an Orlanthi Custom, while Atyar is a God of Occult Knowledge Thieves in Kralorela. The resulting mythology is thus extremely unreliable as its mainly composed in order to keep the three subcults from snicking each others heads off.

>I suppose the power of Orlanth or the definitive killing powers of
>Storm Bull (Vs Chaos) or Humakt (Vs undeath) would not have spared
>his demilife.

Hrothmir, the hero who have beheaded Than, was a Storm Bully.