ArgarArgar and Trading

From: Ilav Topix <ilavtopix_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:16:44 GMT

If I may dissent from the general appraisal of Michael Cule's tale (or of Thomas McVey's either), I would.
I don't like the flavour of the Trading Rune there described, treated IMO as a lesser 'Reciprocity' Rune. The Trading Rune, in my respect, is much more than the tales hinted at.
It is communication based on mutual meeting, agreement and profit, in a broad sense. It is connected with the pleasure of meeting other sentient beings and to communicate with them in order to earn a better way of living in the world. In the most ample meaning. It is not just bargaining or marketing or peacefully fast-talking. It is a way of life based on communicational skill but related to conflict (without weapons or blodshed) and winning (without losers). I do not have a clear representation of the Rune myself, but I got the feeling that the given descriptions are somewhat minimal ones.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the tales very much, so bravo to Michael and Thomas from me too :-)

Sl`n (pardon the inverted accent)
Ilav