Feminism in KoDP

From: Jose Ramos <jramos_at_iqe.es>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:54:15 +0100

    I know that there is a KoDP list, but I could not join when it was set up (or it has traffic zero), and anyway I think this touches with a greater mythic landscape.

    When playing with a female tribal king (a Vingan) in KoDP, I have found that you are unable to resolve the warring tribes event (where you should make peace between them, ideally by building a town). Both tribes agree to come to my sacred hill, they don't, and next year the war starts again.

    I suppose it is a "defence mechanism" to avoid entering the kingmaking step of the game when the king is a queen, but it rises several questions. If kinghood is decided by marriage to the Feathered Horse Queen, evidently there will be only Kings. But the FHQ has been around only for a short time, although her empowerment quest must have tied her directly with the Earth in Dragon Pass. So, could a powerful female quester work to usurp the FHQ status as embodied symbol of the land? Or if you kill/drive away the grazers, would the status devolve back to the Earthshaker temple, or to Tara, Lady of the Wilds. Certainly marrying with any of them must have been a much tougher proposition, as Arim the Pauper did.

    What possibilities does a powerful woman have? Is she bound to the responsive Earth path, even if she is a role-breaker, such as Kallyr? Or was Kallyr bound to fail, as she cannot fulfill the role that she wants to?

    And tying it up, Vinga is the refuge of lesbian women among the orlanthi, I suppose, and I suppose there are some rituals to assume more or less masculine roles, as she has both a feminine and masculine side. Returning to KoDP, I liked the reversion of seduction in the Orlanth and Aroka HQ when a woman performs the quest. Could she seduce the Dark Woman too? Or leaving her with child is so mythically necessary than to have a chance of success she should first have got the necessary equipment (Eurmal could be a possible source).

    Finally, I wonder if this has something to do with those rubble runners that refuse to disappear, unlike my other games...

Josi