Gender and sexuality

From: Theo Posselt <tposselt_at_dttus.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2000 19:49:50 -0600

     Ok, this message bounced earlier, and then didn't show up in the
     digest... resending.  Sorry if this is the second time around.

______________________________ Forward Header
__________________________________

Subject: Gender and sexuality
Author: Theo Posselt at DTT.US.WCG.3
Date: 2/21/2000 11:39 AM
     Hot topic #1 of the week for me is gender.  Basically, I wondering
     about the attitudes towards this in the following cultures:

* 'Orlanthi all'
* Dara Happa
* Esrolia
* Ralios
* Seshnela
* Kralorela
* Pent
* Prax
I know the basics as described in the G:CotHW, etc, but I have the following specific questions for each of these cultures: 1. how are women expected to behave in public in each of these cultures? for example do they need to be veiled, are they expected to be accompanied by chaperones at all times, etc? 2. what spaces are all-male? all-female? 3. what is the legal status of women? are they allowed to own property on their own? divorce their husbands? be educated? 4. if divorce occurs, what is the legal status of the woman afterwards? can she remarry? does she receive alimony? 5. how are female children treated? is there infanticide? are they educated? all the time or only for upper classes? Hot topic #2 is sexuality. Again, for each of the cultures above: 1. how public is personal sexuality? are married couple allowed to touch in public? kiss? 2. how public is representational sexuality? are there nude statues? sexual art in public? 3. what is the view towards pre-marital and extramarital sexual relationships? if discouraged/forbidden, what is the effect of getting caught, on the man and the woman? 4. what is the view of bisexuality? of adult male homosexuality? of paedophilia? regards, Theo