Various Answers

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_jps.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 20:08:38 -0800

> Andrew Larsen asked:
> >
> > Has the list just gone silent for a bit, or have I fallen off
> > the list somehow? I haven't gotten anything for several days.
>
> It may because of the DunDraCon convention this last weekend.
> This is a yearly convention in Northern California where Chaosium
> has always had a large presence. There were several demos of Hero
> Wars run. I suspect a lot of us on this list were there which may
> explain the lack of postings here.

Not really, the main bulk of Gloranthaphiles actually lies outside of Northern California ('way outside in a lot of cases - Australia, the British isles, various parts of mainland Europe...). The various Glorantha conventions quiet the list much more than DDC.

> I just ran a demo of Hero Wars at Dundracon over the weekend, and I
[...]
> From my viewpoint, if HW and Glorantha are to become more popular, a
> lot needs to be done to ease this introduction. I spoke with some
> people at the convention who said that the intro box will have some
> premade characters and premade groups that the players can use. This
> sort of thing is a good introduction; however, I definitely think
that
> the Issaries publishing schedule should include a good, introductory
> adventure, that would allow the players to really kick things off
> after having just bought Deluxe Herowars. New players can't be
> expected to buy SGU/Sartar rising in addition to the Deluxe rules
> without having really played yet.

The Food Thief and Hound Tower scenarios that were run at DDC are parts of the intro adventure set - which looks to be included in the Narrator's book rather than bundled seperately in the box. Thus are your desires met... The series will have four parts of increasing complexity, both in rules demonstrated and in the plot. The climax of the adventure is written for a 4-6 character group at 10w skill level - a few sessions down the road from the starting values. John Carnahan has taken the rules and ideas from greg and myself and made a nice adventure that gives concrete examples of how to run the game - even throwing in a Heroquest in which you face one of the "Major Players" of the upcoming wars (no, not someone we've all met, a bit more shadowy presence.)

Roderick