Re: Ivory

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 07:39:07 EST

Benedict:

<< Now, what is the mythic connection between whales (air breathing water creatures), elephants (inhabitants of hot and humid lands), mammoths/mastodons (inhabitants of cold and dry(?) lands) and walruses? >>

      None that I know of. Either mammoths or mastodons (or maybe both) were made by Vadrus, the (deceased) Orlanthi god of Bad Wind, while the Pamaltelan Elephant was made by Artmal - Anaxial's Record will have the full story of the latter, if only we can squeeze it in! But as there isn't even a mythic connection between brown bears and black bears in Glorantha (well, not in terms of their creation, they've associated since then, of course) things aren't always as they seem...

<< They certainly had small amounts of unicorn horn - actually from Narwhals
(unless my Zoology lecturers weren't telling me something!) >>

     Yes, indeed, narwhal ivory does come in a long spiral 'horn' like shape, and was often peddled as 'unicorn horn'. Gloranthan narwhals, of course, are magical and spend half their time in the seas off Altinela. Their 'horns'
(actually tusks, as you might expect) do have magical properties if you can
get your mits on one.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky