Re: Atheistic HQs

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 07:40:28 EST

Sergio

<< Well, I also need HQ for atheistic players, but this is *REALLY* difficult. It would be nice if someone helps me a little :-) Thanks >>

     It depends what you mean by 'atheistic'. In the case of the Malkioni, Nick Brooke has some suggestions on his website of how such things work, if not specific myths. Sources of inspiration for this sort of monotheist HQ would be Le Morte D'Arthur, the Divine Comedy or Pilgrim's Progress (there are doubtless some Portuguese equivalents, too). Having said that, Greg has denied that Nick is correct so anything based on his ideas may be incompatible with future HW products unless someone can manage to change his mind. But who cares about Gregly correctness? Nick's ideas are too good and too obviously true to be ignored, IMO.

     OTOH, if you mean *real* atheists, like Zzaburi sorcerers, then they don't really HQ in the normal sense. They pop over to the other side, of course, and gain powers from it in an analogous fashion to HQing, but they don't re-enact myths. There are some reasonable guidelines for what sorcerers *do* encounter on the Other Side, and what it looks like to them, in the HW rulebook. There's also a sample Zzaburi 'myth' in the current draft of Anaxial's Record, which will, among other things, illustrate just how un-reenactable they are. Go on, have a guess which of the following myths from AR is the Zzaburi one:

Lodril Paints the Animals; The Profusion of Fish; The First Herd; Gemara and Reladivus; The Creatures of Darkness; Artmal and the Dire Beasts; Vrimak and Avarnia; Prosandara's Basket; Korgatsu the World Dragon; How Cats Domesticated Humans; A Taxonomic Phylogeny of Gloranthan Fauna.

    n.b: the contents of AR are still subject to flux, and I make no guarantees of their final nature - however, almost all the above have now been written, and will be appearing *somewhere*.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky