Vinga clarification

From: Jose Ramos <jramos_at_iqe.es>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:30:00 +0100

> To recap, Jose Ramos was unable to make peace between the warring tribes
when he was playing with a Vingan queen.... he wondered if you could only win the game with a King who was capable of marrying the FHQ....

No, I was able to make them promise both to come to my sacred hill TEN times (and as many times one of them would not want peace, but I am used to that), and next season NOBODY appears, no event, nothing, just forgotten. And a season later, my losses repeat themselves, a new set of tribes is at war, and the ball keeps rolling.

I have won four times, at all levels of difficulty and as an elmali or earth clan, but all these times the Kings were male (and followers of gods different from Orlanth, too). As a matter of fact, the last games were experiments (such as, can I win with a warlike clan? or the last one, can a clan led by a woman win). This clan is on its way to become the owner of all the magic items in DP, as there is not much more to do (besides making money).

And having the Rubble Runners attack twice every year (since the same time people refuse to visit me) makes me suspect I am in some kind of loop.

Well, it seems this game is hosed, so I will have to try again. Perhaps an Ernaldan will do better.

And this test is at Easy difficulty. And it was only an excuse to ask the real questions.

Lesbian Vingans

First of all, I do not want to imply at all that asumption of societal male roles will change someone sexual orientation. What I wanted to explore was the fact that if Vinga follows Orlanth path from a feminine approach, many of his myths, in the Father and Seducer aspect will be closed. Of course she does have a seductress aspect, as shown in several fan myths, but how limiting would be an orlanthi heroquest for a Vingan. Is seducing Gagarth and attacking the Dark Woman creative heroquesting? What will happen to that child that will never be born? Are you weakening the Tusk Riders (or their Darkness link, or even increasing it) just by sending Vingans against Aroka?

And people being as they are, most close friendship in a Vingan band (supposing that exists, which is hinted at in KoDP) will be among the women. So I do not think that Vinga fosters lesbianism, but that the cult attracts lesbians. Considering that joining Vinga is one of the few ways an orlanthi woman has of avoiding an arranged marriage, this is a positive inducement. That does not imply that people will be negatively disposed against them, besides some jokes in the men lodge, but I think it is a fact nevertheless.

Saying "Vinga can do the same things as Orlanth" raises these problems. So, where is the limit?

And nobody has answered the question on Queenhood and how to get rid of the Feathered Horse Queen.

Jose