Atheistic Heroquesting

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 00:26:50 +1300

Sergi Diaz:

mentions that the heroquesting atheists are:

>an Apostate Dwarf (he was an Iron Dwarf
>before giving up Mostal) and a Sorcerer like Zzabur (not so powerful, of
>course :-) ).

>What I can't imagine is what can be the drive of the PC, apart from
>gaining power or knowledge. Maybe if he is "tied" to his region or a
>group of people are under his protection he will have a motive. Another
>idea??

Dwarves normally see the cosmos as the workings of the World Machine. They normally venture into the otherworld every sacred time to help repair the Machine and in such conditions, the cosmic machinery becomes more apparent to them, i.e. the sun is now a glowing cog of fire.

But you mention that the dwarf is an apostate (for unknown reasons) which kind of puts a crimp into how he would heroquest given that he has rejected the world machine. If he were merely a heretic, then he would still see the cosmos in mechanistic terms but with significant distortions depending on his heresy: an individualist would see himself as a machine in his own right and not merely a component. So for me to suggest quests for this dwarf, I would like to know what made him reject mostal.

Possible reasons for atheists to heroquest (other than the simple lust for knowledge and/or spells):