Re: infanticide; descent patterns

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:51:18 -0800

Keith Nellist wrote

>I think I originally agreed with John Hughes about infanticide but have since
>been convinced that it is, in fact, kinslaying and therefore is unlikely.

"Infanticide" is used loosely. It can involve something like "accidentally" rolling over onto your baby at night, to leaving it exposed on a hilltop (in which case it would be Orlanth or the Lady of the Wild who took it, and thus not kinslaying). Or you could go the Phoenician way and sacrifice to Baal, but this seems even more unlikely among the Orlanthi.

The sex pit that drove Ragnaglar mad is an example of Orlanthi virtues taken to extreme (see also the Mallia story). I don't think it, in itself, tells us much.

Alex Ferguson wrote

>A very messy area is 'child custody'. Patrilineage is More-Than-
>Orlanthi-Universal, but 'patrilocality' is much less certain.

Greg once messily wrote that about 1/6 of the Sartarite clans practiced matrilineal descent, but never gave details.

Conceivably these could be clans who worship Ernalda as their main deity (as in King of Dragon Pass).