Re: Raaterovian definition

From: George W. Harris <gharris_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:12:34 -0500

At 10:30 2/23/00 -0800, Alex Ferguson wrote:

>George W. Harris:
>> A game system is only prescriptive if the GM wants it to be; most GMs
>take
>> the results of the system as suggestions only. It never makes for more
>> work for the GM if the system makes detailed, concrete suggestions, and it
>> frequently makes for a lot less. The best way to encourage GMs to give
>> detailed descriptions is to give them lots of help.
>
>I think we're meandering from the original point here: the issue was
>not the copiousness of the examples of play, it's the 'authorial tone'
>with which they're delivered. For example, few wpould trouble to
>deny that AD&D 1st ed. was written in an exceedingly prescriptive
>voice; however, since EGG neglected to make himself omnipotent, said
>prescriptiveness merely got him widely mocked, as much as it got him
>slavishly adhered to.

        So, then the goal would seem to be a text which provides plenty of clear, detailed suggestions as to what various game terms might mean (such as the various magical feats in HW) both in game-mechanical and game-world terms, but delivers such in a non-prescriptive tone? I hope that HW achieves this goal.

George W. Harris                        gharris_at_mindspring.com