Re: Praxian Exogamy

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 10:56:59 EST

In a message dated 2/26/00 0:00:44AM, you write:

<< A more pressing question is whether Praxians are exogamous or  endogamous. Given that individual tribes can be fairly small, endogamy  seems dangerous for the long-term viability of the tribe. Rather, they  seem more likely to practice exogamy, with the men transferring from one  tribe to another upon marriage. The tribe retains the females in order to  maintain the herd size, since otherwise marriage would reduce the herd  size, which in turn could endanger the survival of the tribe. If a man  wishes to live with the tribe he was born into, he needs to capture a bride  in a raid. >>

I am not convinced that a 'normal' Praxian marriage would be outside the tribe because various tribes need to have certain characteristics(think Rhino Rider and Impala). A Rhino Rider could not really marry an Impala woman and move into her tribe - he, or his children, would squash his new herd beasts. Hence, I think 'most' Praxians marry within their tribe, but outside their 'clan'. The exceptions, which would be quite common, would be children of slaves, captives, oasis people, foreigners etc. which would possibly be excepted as part of the tribe, or not, depending on their size/suitability. I am kind of assuming Darwinian genetics here (on the inheritance of size frex) but think they should hold true(ish) in this case. The different tribes DO have differing characteristics (other than size) which have been described in various sources so they are, to some extent, inbred. The degree of inbreeding though would be no more (IMO) than amongst sedentry farmers who never travel very far from their home village.

Keith N

Keith N