Atheist HQ

From: Sergi Diaz <sergio.diaz_at_upcnet.es>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 00:35:51 +0100

> From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
> Subject: Re Knowledge is Power
>
> Thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense. The sorcerer gains power over
> nature by subjecting it to rigorous logical analysis. Knowledge is power.

Well, in fact, this PC has something of a scientist view. He likes the knowledge, maybe some similar to a Lhankor Mhy initiate. But he is a person, and he has friends and enemies, like anybody else. He could HQ for this too.

But in the scientist view, what makes him different from God Learners? The God Learners Sin was, more or less, HQing for power and distortioning the myths only for their own purposes... What is the difference between Zzabur and the God Learners? The "secondary effects" of their acts?

>From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
>Subject: Re : Atheist HQs

>true atheism, as practiced by the Brithini, is a very dry philosophy.
>Your life in the world is literaly all you have. For an apostate
>Brithini or non-Brithini atheist things are particularly bleak. You
>only have one life and it's fast running out. Only immortality spells
>or other, even more drastic measures such as undeath, offer any hope
>for long term survival. I'm sure different individuals will respond to
>this differently, but the typical Adventurer has little in the way of
>family ties or emotional security. Why care about anybody else?

I don't see the point. Of course, immortality will be a goal, but he can still care about someone else. Why? I don't know. But who knows anyway? Does anybody know why he loves someone? He is an atheist but he is still a person. I think he can still have some emotional ties (maybe with other people in the group of adventurers, for example), everybody has emotions.

>Mostali are also in a strange possition. Psychologicaly, all they realy
>care about is their function in the world. They see themselves as
>components in the world machine, with a specific pre-appointed task
>to perform. For a Mostali outside their society the world is a strange
>and difficult place. They need to find a purpose, something they can
>latch on to as being their function in the world.

I will have this in mind. I think you're right. Their psychology can be described this way.