Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #420

From: darvall <madamx_at_ns2.mikka.net.au>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 14:20:36 +1100

Andrew E. Larsen
> Speaking of Godlearner sex toys, is it possible that Mrs Eel is not
>the debauched Lunar matron she's been depicted as? Could she be a devotee
>of Uleria, doing her part to restore the fertility of Prax through vigorous
>worship and the use of arcane objects?

Good call!!!

Alex
>Maybe I'm getting _too_ cynical and jaded in my old age, but: the
implied difference in this distinction being? ;-)

That it is not debauchery but worship. Having had to recently weigh in on a "its not pornography its art" debate I concede the boundaries do blur but for a Ulerian they are probably very clear.

Alex raises another point from my floundering subconcious
>"Hey, Humakt the Champion wouldn't do a thinglike that!" "True, but then
>I'm >Eurmal the Murderer" *splat*

How many deities have this sort of thing happenning? I.E. to what extent are there potential "best fits" that can be slotted into HQs in the absence of the 'correct' deity. Some Orlanth aspects clearly fill this role but could the above example be mythicly (or HQily) usable?

Infanticide
Recently watching a 'documentary' on one of the north african tribes much was made of the concept of Mingi, the baby or child that brought misfortune on the tribe. While much of this curse was related to physical damage which would inhibit reproduction there was the (heavily sensationalised) curse of having the top teeth come through before the bottom teeth which warranted death by exposure of the infant. It occurs to me that in a world where curses are real such a justfication would have weight. Infanticide could also be carried out for mythic or spiritual reasons not directly connected to the state of resources. What happens in any society to the chaos tainted baby? I'd suggest that the midwife quietly wrings its neck.

As a postscript to my anthropo-fishing could I beg on bended knee for John's promised comments on the Tara/hunters posting? Anyone else's would be welcome also.

Darvall
madamx_at_mikka.net.au
>From quiet homes & first beginnings

Out to the undicovered ends
Theres nothing worth the wear of winning But laughter & the love of friends.
Hilare Belloc

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #429