Re: Queen of Dragon Pass; Black Horse Troop; logic

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 21:52:32 -0800

Jose Ramos wrote [of the KoDP endgame]:

>No, I was able to make them promise both to come to my sacred hill TEN
>times (and as many times one of them would not want peace, but I am used
>to that), and next season NOBODY appears, no event, nothing, just
>forgotten. And a season later, my losses repeat themselves, a new set of
>tribes is at war, and the ball keeps rolling.

Dragon Pass is in turmoil, and needs a king (or queen).

>I have won four times, at all levels of difficulty and as an elmali or
>earth clan, but all these times the Kings were male (and followers of gods
>different from Orlanth, too).

Nothing in this scene checks for your king's gender. Perhaps you don't have a couple of good bargainers to talk to the tribes.

>And nobody has answered the question on Queenhood and how to get rid of
>the Feathered Horse Queen.

Why would you want to get rid of her? She is of no interest to the Queen of Dragon Pass (I for one don't believe in proxy marriages, though I suppose Jane can still say they evolved over time).

Danny asked:

>Working the assumption that the Black Horse Troop are the demon
>horse steeds rather than
>the people riding them, who are the riders?

When Robin Laws ran a scenario, the BHT was indeed the steeds. The riders were replaceable and covered under the Follower rules of Hero Wars -- I think they were described in something like two words ("foolhardy archer").

I'm having little interest in the discussion of Gian Gero (though I'm glad he returned -- we should be an inclusive community), but he wrote:

>Logic, common sense, cultural values are all things that people assume are
>universal and they aren't. They aren't.

Very true -- there was an interesting article about this in Science News recently. Researchers asked a question like "All bears north of the arctic circle are white. Jon saw a bear while north of the arctic circle. What color was the bear?" A westerner would answer, "White," but Siberian nomads would all say, "I don't know, why don't you ask Jon?" Interesting roleplaying challenge!

David Dunham Electric Fish, Inc snapper_at_electricfish.com Voice: 206 634 2926 Fax: 206 634 2921 http://www.electricfish.com

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #430