Advertising

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 18:16:06 -0800

Michael Cule sez:

>>(Me suggesting using Donandari to advertise marriagible offspring.)
>A herald? Actually this sounds like a job that intersects the territory
>of Uleria and Issaries. Donander would provide the music for the wedding
>feast and (for a fee) write songs to sing under the young lady's window.

(Insert picture of Gringle Goodsell with caption: "Would you buy a bride from this man?")

>Wouldn't you go to Uleria for a divination to find out who would make
>your children the best mate and then to an Issaries go-between to
>negotiate with the parents. And then Lhankhor Mhy to draw up the
>marriage contract...

I view Donandar as a "Big Tent" kind of cult, inclusive of nearly every form of art that is intended to entertain or inform the community at large. Certainly some marriages require the services of financial experts and lawyers to bring off because of the high stakes involved at the clan or tribal level, but I think most ordinary Orlanthi don't need that and rely on the services of traveling bards and the local Ulerians with plenty of room for baffling local variations ala "The Quiet Man" including a proper punch-up at the end between the groom and the bride's brother. =)

Gary R Switzer
Aero Hobbies

"Some of the more backward Orlanthi near Far Point were rumored to be exposing their unwanted female children in the old fashion but our host, a tavernkeeper formerly from Sylila, ended that in the following manner: Whenever word came to him that such a death had occured he would make it a point to prepare one of those puddings known far and wide as a "Drowned Baby" and, serving it forth on a large platter decorated with the totems of the local clans, have his hired Donandar songstress play such well-known songs as "Ernalda's Lament." Soon enough such foundlings were finding there way to his backdoor to be sent on safe to the Telo Nori, as is only proper."