Re: FHQ, proxies

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:33:24 -0000

> David Dunham on the Feathered Horse Queen.
> >
> > Why would you want to get rid of her? She is of no interest to the Queen
> > of Dragon Pass (I for one don't believe in proxy marriages, though I
> > suppose Jane can still say they evolved over time).

Alex Ferguson on the same
> Come to that, she can still they exist, and KoDP merely does not
> trouble to implement same. (List of analogous cases available on
> demand...)

I don't really have time to give this the attention it deserves, but let's have a quick shot. As I understand it, the whole point about marrying the FHQ to become KoDP is to become the husband/protector of the incarnation of the Earth of the lands you are trying to rule. Just as Yelm did, just as Orlanth did. Quite similar to the Counts of Sun County "marrying" the river spirit.

The incarnation of the Earth powers is the FHQ. Not the King of the Grazers. I'm not too sure what, if anything/one he's an incarnation of, but Earth ain't it. (The Sun?)

So, a female who wants to be KoDP has a problem, as marrying someone the same gender as yourself is tricky.

My suggested solution to this is a proxy. I'm quite sure proxies in various ceremonies happen from time to time (lots of RW examples), and I'm quite sure that they aren't as effective as the real thing. In the case of a prospective female KoDP, I've only ever suggested that it has been tried once, and that it wasn't much of a success then. (Due in part to the proxy being less trustworthy than the principal might have hoped).

BTW, documented Gloranthan proxy marriages: remember Argarth marrying the infant Queen of Holay? Is anyone suggesting that the baby carried out her own part in the ceremony without help?

Dave's solution, from the look of my one win in a long game of "KoDP", is for the female king to make *herself* the Earth incarnation, and marry the King of the Grazers almost as an afterthought. Not bad, but personally I don't see a Vingan/ORex type swapping over to the Earth role, and going high Hero level in it, on a few seasons notice. Maybe I've misunderstood, maybe I'm just plain wrong, maybe running the game on "easy" setting gave me a false idea of how much effort this took. Dave? Want to explain?

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/