Lover, not a fighter... ?

From: Dan McCluskey <daniem_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:59:17 -0800

Andrew Larsen:
>...the Ulerian fighting a troll who represented Zorak
>Zoran (who slew Flamal, and thus has to be overcome at some point) and
>finally fending him off by driving her sword into his thigh

um, mebbe I'm biased, but I just can't quite come to terms with a Uleria beating ZZ in a fight... It's just not her idiom. And Zorak Zoran is a better fighter than that.

I agree that he should be defeated, but not directly. I would go for soemthing like "they get ambushed by ZZ, he beats the crap out of them and leaves them for dead. Xiola Umbar shows up, heals the questers, and gives them a secret that allows them to defeat ZZ." This should probably take the form of Uleria attemting to seduce ZZ and failing (he is the god of Hate, after all), then XU telling her about his impotence, and her using that to defeat him later...

ZZ - XU are in many ways just opposing aspects of the same power (like grower and maker) and will often appear in the same myths. According to Drastic Darkness, they have a heropath together that can be used for ressurrection, so I like the idea that they both appear in Uleria's myth for the same thing.

danm