Praxian Cattle?

From: D. Pearton <pearton_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 12:39:17 -0800 (PST)

> From: "Gian Gero" <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
> Subject: Praxian infants
>
> Hi, lads.
>
> In the Digest # 435, I read the following:
>
> > > I have to voice strong disagreement to this concept. While it makes
> > >sense that Praxians are capable of abandoning infants, the harsh
> >realities
> > >of life in Prax and the Wastes would preclude the need to do so.
>
> I agree. I also think that infants are valued more than cattle, in Praxian
> standards. And cattle is the only currency any good Khan will be likely to
> own (items and weapons are less likely and have a less objective value to be
> considered effective "currency").

Cattle! *spit* - almost as bad as horses, only good for eating and then they don't taste as good as a nice meaty ostrich or Bison!

I'm assuming here that by "cattle" you mean the herds of whatever beasts the Praxians happen to own. In regard to this don't the women own the herds? I would say that his weapons and his honour _are_ the most important things that a Praxian Kahn does own.

I would also disagree with the idea of food being the limiting criteria, except for the most marginal clans in the wastes. We know that disease spirits are heartily feared by Praxians otherwise the borders of Teshnos wouldn't be such a no-go area. To me this implies that they do not have sure-fire ways of curing diseases plus the prevalence of Broos in Prax would ensure that a fair number of disease spirits are around. The tribal Shaman can't be around to treat every child - he has many other duties.

I agree with the relatively high infant mortality - primarily from disease and, in the wastes, malnutrition - that would limit the practice of infanticide. This would be most common for clans in the worst parts of the wastes. The existance of foundchild does show that there is a mythic basis for the practice but I would argue against its being high frequency.

Another avenue for getting rid of excess children might be the Paps. I'm sure that the prietesses would take in a number of unwanted children to serve as replacements and temple functionaries.

Cheers,
Yak
- --
Dave Pearton
pearton_at_u.washington.edu

      "Its habit of getting up late you'll agree
         That it carries too far, when I say
       That it frequently breakfasts at five-o'clock tea,
         And dines on the following day.

The Hunting of the Snark, Lewis Carroll