Death/sex; Innana

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 13:47:58 -0800

Alexandre Lanciani wrote:

> Once I'd have liked to add a character in my campaign who embodied the
>dichotomy death/sex but I was stopped from doing so by runic determinism: if
>Uleria personifies Love and Love is the expression of Fertility and
>Fertility is opposed to Death and Death is expressed (also) by War, how
>would such a character come to term with her two natures?

Carmanians are Dualists, and the Lunars have lots of this sort of thing too (Natha comes to mind).

Isn't there a temple to Humaktuleria somewhere in Glorantha (I'm away from my sources).

Andrew E. Larsen wrote:

>Innana/Ishtar is not a complex goddess. She's very
>straightforward and simple.

Have you read "Inanna : Queen of Heaven and Earth; Her Stories and Hymns from Sumer" by Diane Wolkstein and Samuel Noah Kramer -- I don't recall her being simple at all. Keep in mind we only have fragmentary bits about Innana (rather like we do about Uleria or any other Gloranthan deity, actually). Anyway, I recommend this book (which probably includes some of the world's oldest erotic literature).