Peasants and diets and stuff

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 17:57:09 -0500

aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu wrote:

> It's very difficult to get a handle on just what a peasant really
> ate during the Ancient and Medieval periods . . .

I don't think you can classify the Orlanthi hill people of Dragon Pass as "peasants". Their society isn't at all medieval. The dietary comparison's would be with (say) the Celtic tribes the Romans met, or pre-Christian Scandinavia, quite different.

Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> . . . one way for Uleria to defeat him (mythically) is to seduce
> him and then use her sexuality-related magic to (temporarily)
> render him impotent. Thus shamed, ZZ is defeated. He could stomp on
> Uleria and abuse her physically all he wants, he's still defeated
> on her turf.

Why would ZZ not stomp, abuse, and finally eat Uleria in this case? He's a "shame" rather than "guilt" person -- if nobody knew of his defeat, it wouldn't count.
- --
Carl Fink carlf_at_dm.net
I-Con's Science and Technology Guest of Honor in 2000 will be Geoffrey A. Landis. See <http://www.iconsf.org> for I-Con information.